How Can I Change My Company's Name and Information

Process for Change of Company Name

If you want to change your Hong Kong company name, it is pretty easy to do so. 

Over time, a new business can genuinely expect to dynamically transform, and company renaming is a straightforward process in Hong Kong. Moreover, if other changes are taking place, e.g., a new company registered office address, or a new director/secretary, you have 15 days to update these changes with the Companies Registry. In case you’re approaching the deadlines of such obligations or change of company name , you can trust Fastlane with these processes, and we will complete them for you, giving you the chance to focus on developing your business here in Hong Kong.

In this article, we’ll show you how to make those changes with the appropriate authorities.

Steps to Change of Company Name

For example, if the name of your company that you had during the time of incorporation is no longer suitable for your company’s latest activities or if you want a new brand identity for your company, you can change of company name by making an application to the Companies Registry to have it changed. 

Step 1: Choose the new company name. Make sure the change of company name complies with the company name guidelines (as mentioned below) and doesn’t seem like, or similar to, a company that already exists.

Company Name Guidelines (By the Company Registry)

  • You may input an English name, a Chinese name, or an English name & a Chinese name. But you can’t use the name which consists of a combination of both English and Chinese characters and letters.
  • As per English, the names of companies must be ended with a “Limited”, which in Chinese characters “有限公司” ended for the Chinese companies name.
  • Only traditional Chinese characters (繁體字) is allow for Chinese company names and it must be able to be found in the Kang Xi Dictionary (康熙字典) or Ci Hai Dictionary (辭海) AND also in the ISO 10646 international coding standard. Company Registry does not accept simplified Chinese characters.

Step 2: Get the special resolutions passed for the change of company name.

The special resolution is a document that is signed by at least 75% of shareholders who are in favor of the name change.

Step 3: Submit Form NNC-2, “Notice of Change of Company Name,” within 15 days of the special resolution change of company name being passed. This may be done either through an online or hard copy submission to the Companies Registry Office, by making a visit in person or by posting. The address for both mailings and drop-offs is 14th floor, Queensway Government Offices, 66 Queensway, Hong Kong. If you go for the mailing option, you should send your filing form to the Registry of Corporations early enough to allow the Registry to receive it within the 15-day timeframe.

Whether it is an online submission, posting by hand, or mailing, the fee of HK$295 remains the same. Should you not use an online service for submitting your application, please enclose a check and avoid sending cash.

Step 4: This will allow the Companies Registry to go through your application for change of company name . If it is approved, they will send you a Certificate of Change of Name either through a soft copy or a hard copy format depending on which format you submitted your application. Now, your company’s name has been officially changed.

If your request for the change of the company name is denied, the filing fee will be not refunded.

Change of Company Address

When you move to a different office address, you will need to update your registered address with the Companies Registry as soon as possible.

Complete Form NR1 “Notice of Change of Address of Registered Office” and either mail it or submit it in person at the Companies Registry for registration within 15 days of changing the location of your company’s registered offices.

Drop-offs and postings can be made at the Registrar of Companies, 14th floor, Queensway Government Offices, 66 Queensway, Hong Kong. On top of all, you need to account for a delivery timeframe and submit the form before the 15 days are up.

This type of filing is free of charge but the highest penalty for late filing is HK$50,000 and HK$1,000 daily default fine.

Change of Company Secretary and Company Director

As the company expands over time, there will be directors who will join and leave the company and the company secretary as well. Such a change in employment has to be filled in the Companies Registry or else the changes will not be official.

Now, numerous Companies Registry forms are similar in appearance so verify the one that you are submitting is the right one. Otherwise, you’re likely to waste time that will be spent moving those forms back and forth.

The available forms are as follows:

Drop-offs and postings can be made to the Registrar of Companies, 14th floor, Queensway Government Offices, 66 Queensway, Hong Kong. This also needs to be filled before the 15-day duration and the highest penalty for late filing is HK$25,000 for each late filing and HK$ 700 daily default fine.

“Resignation” and “Cessation”: What is the difference?

A “resignation” is an act of leaving a post or responsibility, whereas a “cessation” refers to an abrupt end or termination. Note that you should only use Department of Commerce resignation forms if you are the company secretary or director and have confidence that the company won’t be signing a cessation form.

But for any other circumstances, it would be more accurate to use “to fill form ND2A Notice of Change of Company Secretary and Director (Appointment/Cessation)”

Appointment of Reserve Director

If you are the only director and only shareholder of the company, in the event you pass away a reserve director is in a position to act on your behalf to manage the company. For the submission or cession of the reserve director, simply fill up “Form ND5 Notice of Change of Reserve Director (Nomination/Cessation)”.

How to Update Company Directors’ and Secretary’s Details

Up to changes in the Directors of Companies as well as the Company Secretary in particular. 

  • Name
  • Alias
  • Correspondence address must be a Hong Kong address (for company secretaries) 
  • The residential address can be a non-Hong Kong address (For company directors)
  • E-mail address
  • Hong Kong identity card number
  • Passport number

To do so, fill up the Form ND2B Notice of Change in Particulars of Company Secretary and Director.

The penalty for late filing is HK$25,000 for each breach together with a daily default fine of HK$700 so you should start filling as early as possible.

Summary of Changing Company Information

  • The cost of changing your company’s name is HK$295. It can be done online or in hard copy by dropping at the company registry office. The filing deadline will be no later than 15 days after the shareholders pass the special resolution about the name change.
  • Company registration of a new address is free of charge, and it can be done only on an issuance basis. This will be done within 15 days of the amendment coming into effect as you have requested it.
  • The filing of a company resolution to appoint a director or a secretary is free and can be done through hard copy application only. The deadline is within 15 days of the change being completed.
  • Filing forms for changing details with the company director or secretary can be done for free and in hard copy format. This deadline for filing is not later than 15 days from the date when modification comes into force.

How FastLane Group Can Help?

If you are planning on changing your company name and updating other company information, the best place to start is to consult with an experienced agency

At Fastlane, our team of experts can help walk you through the process. Working with Fastlane can help you speed up the process and can help you avoid confusion or mistakes that can cost you time and money. 

Fastlane can also act as your Hong Kong company secretary, stepping in to help you through various aspects of business registration and legalization in Hong Kong. For companies that are just getting started operating in Hong Kong, having a professional and experienced firm by their side can help them avoid the pitfalls that many new companies or businesses fall into.
Ready to learn more? Switch to Fastlane today, and find out how our services can help you and much more!

hello there